Thursday, October 31, 2019

Bite me: THE BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960)

As I do every year the last week of October and including Halloween (October 31st), I binge watch horror movies. There is a variation some years as to what I watch and this year is no exception. I watched a Hammer Films produced horror movie that I hadn't seen in many years: THE BRIDES OF DRACULA, originally released in January, 1960. The film's cast includes Peter Cushing, Freda Jackson, David Peel and gorgeous Yvonne Monlaur.

Dracula is nowhere to be found in THE BRIDES OF DRACULA...but a young baron who has inherited the vampire affliction, after escaping home confinement (his mother has him chained inside a room inside a huge castle), sets about doing what Dracula and vampires in general typically do: terrorize folks and bite them in order to spread their "disease". If vampirism is in fact a disease then Dr. Gabriel Van Helsing is the cure and Peter Cushing reprises his role as the vampire hunter-killer "Van Helsing" (he began the role in 1958's Horror Of Dracula).

THE BRIDES OF DRACULA (1960) can be found for sale on both DVD and Blu Ray as part of respective box sets that feature other classic Hammer horror films. I have both sets and they're fantastic. Here's a link to the Blu Ray set: Hammer 8-film collection

A trailer: