Sunday, November 22, 2020

Giving thanks in 2020

As the Thanksgiving holiday is nearly upon us its time for me to take a moment out of my schedule and typical routine of being stressed about work (and money) and comment on what I'm thankful for. Here goes:

  • I'm thankful for Allopurinol, a prescription medicine that helps prevent debilitating gout attacks in my joints, specifically my toes, knees, elbows and feet. 
  •  I'm thankful that my cat "Sissy" is potty trained and, about 99% of the time, answers the call of nature in her litterbox and nowhere else.
  • I'm thankful for dark roast coffee, which helps me snap out of my typical morning funks upon getting out of bed to go to work.
  • I'm thankful that I can work in 2020, especially given the situation in the United States(and abroad) with COVID-19 (aka the coronavirus).
  • I'm thankful for naproxen, an OTC drug that helps me manage my pain from arthritis.
  • I'm thankful for food delivery services like GRUBHUB, DOORDASH and UBER EATS which allow me to have food delivered to my residence when I don't feel like cooking.
  • I'm thankful for Amazon, an online business in which I can order a wide range of products including many things I use for work.
  •  I'm thankful that there are still some people who post at my internet message board MONSTERLAND FORUMS.
  • I'm thankful for my smartphone (an iPhone 8 plus), a valuable tool in my trade (lawn maintenance).
  • I'm thankful for online savings accounts (I have two) which offer much better interest rates than the typical "brick and mortar" banks(like Wells Fargo or Bank Of America)
  • I'm thankful for smart TVs - on mine(a 55" Hisense ultra hi def model) I can watch any number of free channels including YouTube, a channel I especially like for its documentary content.
  • Finally, I'm thankful that I still have my sanity and overall health, both in enough quantity in order to work and make a living while staying out of discussions with others regarding religion and politics.