Saturday, April 25, 2009

Persona Non Strata: X The Unknown(1956)

If I ever had to part ways with my classic Godzilla films on DVD I'd probably suffer from serious withdrawal symptoms. The same goes for my collection of Hammer Films produced movies on DVD. I'm especially fond of the earlier "Hammer" produced horror and sci-fi, from the mid 1950's through the early 1960's. Among my favorites: X The Unknown(1956). This film is genuinely spooky and plays out as a straight ahead, no-nonsense affair about a mysterious, radioactive creature living in the bowels of the Earth which manages to access the surface where it preys on humans. Leave it to a scientist(played by Dean Jagger) and local police inspector(played by Leo McKern) to try and figure out how to stop the creature.

The film's trailer: