Sunday, June 28, 2009

Michael Jackson, 1958-2009

I was shocked and deeply saddened by the recent death of iconic entertainer Michael Jackson. I grew up listening to him, and his brothers, as "The Jackson 5", and then enjoyed Michael Jackson's solo efforts on albums like Off The Wall(1979), Thriller(1982), Bad(1987) and Dangerous(1991). There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said about this legendary singer and performer: his contributions to the music industry are immeasurable. His positive influence on fans all over the world is remarkable and will, I hope, keep his legacy, and spirit, alive for decades to come.

My all time favorite music video, and one I think is among the best music videos I have ever seen, is "Thriller", directed by John Landis. This video, based on the song of the same name from the 1982 album Thriller, combines all the elements we have come to expect, and cherish, from Michael Jackson: the dance moves, the choreography, as well as the makeup effects. More than anything, this is simply Michael Jackson doing what he does best.

May he Rest In Peace.

Michael Jackson's "Thriller":