Monday, September 5, 2011

In defense of the tube TV

I have never considered myself a tech savvy person. I didn't own my first cell phone until the year 2000: it was a rectangular shaped Ericcson model with a thick antenna attached to the top of it. This clunky phone looked more like a walkie talkie than a cell phone. I didn't own my first computer until a close friend of mine bought me a used laptop back in December, 2005.As for televisions I bought my first LCD high definition TV, a 32" Olevia from Circuit City, back in 2007. This TV lasted two years and then one day just wouldn't turn on. A technician with Norman's Electronics(located here in Atlanta, GA) rambled off a litany of possible reasons why this hi def flat panel TV stopped working. All the potential fixes were expensive and were more than 50% of the what I originally paid for this Olevia LCD TV(just over $400). Determined to abstain from purchasing another LCD flat panel TV until I had gotten the bad taste of my Olevia TV failure out of my system, I went back to my steady, reliable tube TVs. These TVs have been around for what seems like forever. They're commonly referred to as "tube" televisions because they employ a bulky cathode ray tube(CRT) to facilitate the image projection onto the screen of the TV. These types of televisions can last ten years or longer. I am, admittedly a fan of flat screens on TVs now. Thankfully there are still many quality tube TVs with flat screens that remain on the market, primarily at internet vendors like Tiger Direct, Amazon and Overstock. I purchased a flat screen tube television last year which has, I think, the best picture of any TV I have ever owned. It's a Toshiba model 30HF85 16x9 flat screen: the screen is rectangular shaped hence the "16 x 9" description of it's screen. I believe this particular model appeared in retailers back in 2005. This unit has also been produced by Toshiba in a 26" and 34" screen size as well. In fact, the model "34HF85" and the follow up model are sold used and/or refurbished at Amazon for well over $500. I bought the 30" model of this unit from a craigslist seller early this year for $110. Seems like a great investment thus far.

I also bought a 40" Dynex flat panel LCD back in July, 2011 and the Toshiba 30" flat screen tube TV has, in my opinion, a noticeably better picture.




While this Toshiba model is advertised as displaying 480p and 1080i resolutions I have it connected to my A T & T U-verse cable box and have the cable box system resolution set to 720p(hi def) and this television displays a great picture with vibrant colors and great clarity!