Thursday, November 24, 2011

Giving thanks

As another Thanksgiving holiday is upon us I thought I'd list some of the things I'm thankful for as I rapidly approach fifty years of age:

  1. I'm thankful for high definition, flat panel LCD televisions: I can watch A T & T U Verse HD channels without having to put on my bifocals in order to adequately see the television images
  2. I'm thankful that I can still perform my work(landscaping and gardening) with a reasonable degree of success given my age and growing number of aches and pains I have now
  3. I'm thankful for "allopurinol", a prescription medication that I take to lower my uric acid levels and consequently ward off painful gout flareups that I would otherwise suffer in my right knee, either feet and both elbows
  4. I'm thankful for the reliability of A T & T U Verse: I pay more for their combined internet and cable TV package than I like but they are generally reliable and I've had only two router breakdowns in three years. My previous ISP and cable provider was Comcast and their service was prone to frequent and prolonged outages, one reason why I cancelled my account with them back in 2008
  5. I'm thankful that so many of the classic Godzilla and other dated, obscure horror movies I watched as a kid are being released to quality DVD
  6. I'm thankful that Legendary Pictures has signed on to produce another American "Godzilla" movie. I'm confident that this studio will produce a Godzilla film that will be a lot better than the '98 Centropolis produced Godzilla movie which was roundly blasted by the majority of Godzilla and giant monster movie fandom
  7. I'm thankful that I still retain some modicum of a sense of humor regarding our world and society in general
  8. I'm thankful for the close friendship of two good men I have known now for fifteen years
  9. I'm thankful for the social media website Facebook, which has enabled me to reconnect with college and high school classmates as well as help me stay connected with an old high school friend and her husband
  10. I'm thankful for my landlord, an elderly widow who is kind, generous and very much like a grandmother to me
  11. I'm thankful that my internet message board, Monsterland Forums, has retained regular posting activity by a small group of high character people who share a love for movies