Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Evolution of Godzilla (1954 - 2014)


I haven't seen Godzilla(2014), the new G film from Legendary Pictures yet because of a very busy work schedule right now. No matter as I'll buy it on Blu Ray later this year. Godzilla has undergone many changes to his appearance during his sixty year cinematic career. The iconic movie monster, created by the Toho Motion Picture Company(located in Japan), has provided me with a lot of thrills(and laughs) over the years. I've been a fan of this monster since I was a kid. Now, at age fifty two, I'm still a huge fan of Godzilla and probably will be into my senior years.

My favorite Godzilla rendering is 'Kingoji", the Godzilla design used in 1962's King Kong Vs Godzilla. I'm also a great fan of the "Mosugoji" design from 1964's Mothra Vs Godzilla and the "Soshingeki" G design which Toho used from 1968-1972. The only Godzilla "suit" design I actually dislike is the "Musukogoji" design from 1967's Son Of Godzilla.

To date Godzilla(2014), directed by Gareth Edwards, has generated $477.5 million in worldwide box office receipts and has yet to be theatrically released in Japan(it will be on July 25th). Hopefully this new American made Godzilla movie will be well received in Japan.

The new Godzilla movie is, according to many sources, part of a planned trilogy of Godzilla films, all being produced by Legendary Pictures.

Go Godzilla!